Tuesday, May 03, 2011

A worthwhile trip

I let myself be a bum this morning,
because I'm celebrating the fact that I AM DONE WITH HIGH SCHOOL FOREVER!! 
I think that's good reason to be a sloth.

After sleeping in until the luxurious hour of 9:40,
I made coffee
(a relationship/addiction that I might just have to break again...See this post or this post or even this post to see what a struggle I've had with that magic bean) and I did other fun/chillaxing stuff.

Enough about that.
Back to what I promised in the past post about local commercials.

So, this weekend I went to a pickle festival, which doesn't sound very appealing, I know. To me, it sounded like it would be an entertaining event.
While I wouldn't normally make a long trip for something so trivial as pickles, my parents were riding in the 'Tour de Pickle', and I wanted to show some support.
Plus, I like road trips.

It was a fun and a unique experience.
If you know me, you might know that I love to observe other cultures. Eastern NC is no exception.

While my parents were riding their bikes, I, armed with my nikon, strolled the festival grounds.
My professional-looking nikon automatically made people assume that I was a serious photographer.
I got the question "Are you a photographer?" many times.
How does one properly answer a question like that?
On one hand, I have a camera and I'm taking pictures. What else would I be other than a photographer?

But, I knew what they meant. Basically, "Hey lady with the cameraam I gonna be on the front page of the paper?"
To me a photographer is someone who takes photographs. Therefore, I am a photographer. Just not the famous/paid kind.

After my parents had finished their bike ride, we swung by McDonald's to get our unsweet tea fix. [sweet tea is just gross syrup. Seriously, ew. ...I'm like an counter-southerner who so happens to be a fifth-generation (at least) southerner]
While we were at the Mcdonald's, I looked around the shopping center.

There was a Yummy Orient:


There was a Super Mercado:

There was a coin laundry and a chinese take-out.

Then, I saw it.

Bobby Denning's.

The one from this clip.




Being the nerd that I am, I HAD to go take a picture in front of the building.

Then we decided to go inside, and check it out. How could we resist? I mean, they had SCOOTERS.

So, we walked in, and perused the inventory.
There were some nice things, but in the bargain center, there were some very unique things.
(In a good way unique.)
Like a room divider with colonial people painted on it, a tv from the 70's, and...
these plates that I bought. They were so groovy, I couldn't resist. I mean, they're made out of glass and leather. ...I'll find a good use for them.

Okay, so when I went to purchase the plates, I told the nice lady at the register that I had seen their youtube video, and I was a fan.

She told me that I could meet the Bobby Denning and Mrs. Denning if I liked. Of course I said yes.

They were really nice people, and after talking for a bit, we took a picture together.
This is the amazing part: Mr. Denning has muscular dystrophy.
He's been in a wheelchair since he was 12, and yet he is running his multifarious business. He can't move his arms or legs, but he's still trucking along.
Talk about inspiring!!

His wife was terribly sweet, and as I was leaving, she said that my visit had made her day. That visit made my day, too.

Before I left, they gave me a ball cap and a yardstick advertising Bobby Denning's. I was a very happy camper.

So, if you need a scooter, or a couch, or pretty much anything, and you happen to be in Mt. Olive, do go to Bobby Denning's.

Also, I saw this in a field, and I'm considering calling them up. I've always wanted to be on the radio...hehe
"WJDS RADIO
1430 AM SINCE 1960
START YOUR PROGRAM
LOW TIME PRICES
CALL ..."

4 comments:

  1. I liked the story- although, I may have to question your citizenship since I thought I read that you don't like sweet tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)
    Sadly, you read correctly. I used to love that nectar, but things happened. I have a story that gives good excuses for my dislike of sweet tea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again about the sweet tea....
    Actually, I normally drink unsweet but I get sweet tea sometimes when I want a dessert out but dont wanna pay $15 for one.

    What is the Tour De Pickle btw?

    That must have been quite a treat for you meeting them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, good idea, if you need a sugar rush, just get a tea!
    The tour de pickle was a bike race. :)
    It was sooo fun. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...