Thursday, May 12, 2011

Musing on Music

I've always had a connection to music. I think I'm a very audio-visual individual. I gravitate towards pretty much any kind of music--I've blogged about it plenty. Song lyrics are like candy for my brain, since I'm usually munching on them and dissecting them. I appreciate talented musicians...as I've said before, music is what feelings sound like.
Music is a basic way for someone to display emotion. It's like getting to know a person, but just from what you hear.
Not all singers/guitar players/other-instrument players should be called musicians.
(EXAMPLE: auto-tuned disney pop stars. Brittany Spears.) But that's best saved for another post.

So, I have a friend who is lending me quite a few CD's.
I'm pretty sure my itunes library is going to be doubled by the end of this process. It's a good prospect.

It's exciting, because I love getting new music, though my computer is being funny--it won't recognize the song titles.
{cue Track 01, Track 02...}
...which is actually turning out to be even more fun for me. This process of listening, guessing, then googling (if I give up), is reminding me of a game my dad and I used to play when we were driving. We'd turn the radio on and play "guess the band"
It would go like this (if such a simple game needs further explaining):
Turn on the classic rock station.
Wait for a song.
"Makenzie, do you know who this is?"
"uhh, do you, Dad?"
"Think about it for a minute..."

there would be lots of finger-snapping and incorrect guesses. If my dad remembered he'd wait for me to guess.

"oooh, uhhh, it's that band...with that guy...he has that funny voice...OOH! ROBERT PLANT! LED ZEPPELIN?"
*nod from Dad*
"YESSS." (okay, admittedly, everyone knows what Robert Plant sounds like, but this is an example, okay? In real life I'm kinda-sorta-ish better at guessing)

We tried to get to where we would guess the song and band before the singer came on (because singers are usually what's associated with the sound of the band. People don't often think about the uniqueness of drum patterns and guitar riffs as much.)
If we didn't get it right before the singer started, we 'lost' and it didn't count.

I love music trivia. I have a lot of trivia from the 1960's - 1980's scene, thanks to my dad.
And now I'm playing "guess the band" with my itunes.
...but I get to cheat by searching google. Shhh. 


ALSO, I have a HUGE MUG OF COFFEE. My happy cells are awake. My typing is getting faster thanks to the coffee. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...