Monday, March 22, 2010

Fabulous finds and Fortuitous fortune

One of the findings this week:

I have an addiction.

An addiction to caffeine.
Coffee is a wonderful thing.
In moderation.

So yes, maybe I was getting a little teensy-weensy bit used to coffee.

To put it bluntly, there was an intervention.


Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty.

The first day of my anti-caffeine rampage, I tried to go cold turkey. 


NO COFFEE at ALL.

I WOULD NOT recommend this method to anyone.


Unless you enjoy tiredness, THROBBING headaches, foggy-headedness, weeping (I sheepishly admit it), and irritability. 

Slowly wean yourself off. It's much better for you (and anyone living with you)

Now, I'm cutting back.
We shall see how it plays out.

So that's all I have to say about that. (for now)


On the subject of findings, let me tell you something.
I'll warn you, I may gush. 

With this in mind, here goes.

Consignment shops, thrift stores, and the like are my friends.

In a matter of speaking. Clearance is one of my good acquaintances too, but that's another story.

I can't imagine paying retail for clothing. Once you go to these resale shops, it's eye-opening.
My Gram introduced these particular stores to me.

They're in a cute little town. Ice cream shoppes, fancy tea rooms, REALLY great pubs, golfing...stuff like that. If you just want to go putter around, it's nice, but boy it can get expensive!

It's a golfing community. It's full of rich retired people.

Rich retired people with grandchildren that they LOVE to spoil. (and grandchildren that can't use all of their gifts!)

The kind of people who wear an outfit once or twice and then get rid of it.

That, my friends, is the place to be

There are quite a few "upscale" resale shops in the area.

You have to know which ones to visit. Some are pretty lame. But some are really neat.

It's hit and miss, of course. But when you hit the jackpot, it's a wonderful feeling. Like when you pay 2 dollars for a practically brand new Fossil purse. Or find a beautiful formal dress for 1/4 of the original price. Woohoo!

The feeling is sweet. The feeling of having saved money.
And of course, it makes for some great memories.

Memories. It's so weird to me how that works.

When I'm in the moment, I'm usually not thinking, "wow, that'll make a nice memory for me." or "man, when I look back on this, I will be so irritated with myself." 
Maybe I need a little more foresight. . . 

*******

Time is really odd to me, too.

 One of the things that really frustrated me and I tried SO HARD to understand (and I still don't understand), was how God was in all time.

The fact that He transcends everything -past, present, future- just blew my mind. But that was me trying to think of  God in human terms. Which doesn't work.


Makes me think of this verse:
"For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."" -1 Corinthians 1:19 


Well, I've rambled. that is for sure. and now I should be signing off.

Peace.

2 comments:

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...