Saturday, May 07, 2011

One spell that is hard to break

Dizziness.

It's 3:30 AM, and I just woke up from a deep sleep.
Like, I am AWAKE. I guess my body was letting me know that I wasn't going to always feel dizzy. Thanks, body, that's great and all, but can I sleep now?
...I should say that the sensation of being dizzy is one of the worst feelings. It's utterly debilitating. But now the dizzy spell has been broken!

...since my body is weirdly acting like I've just had a pot of coffee and therefore I can't really get back to sleep, I'll blog.
This post may not make much sense during 'sane hours'...oh well, here we go! (though I apologize for the lack of cohesive thought)

"Kenzie, why were you dizzy?"
(these italicized questions are what you're supposed to be thinking...like a cue card, ok? Just play along, and all will be well. Humor my insanity and lazy writing)

Well, reader, I need to learn how to spin.

"how so?", you ask? Good question. (see? you're totally catching on!)

Let me clarify: I am good at spinning-- my issue is that I'm not always using the proper technique when I spin, and therefore I get dizzy.
Or so I hope it is the technique.

Dizzy = nausea/overall terrible feeling. Strangely, it's not the kind of dizzy where the room spins and you can't walk in a straight line. It's just a sense of nausea. I think it's my inner ear.

"Soo? What's the big deal? What kind of silly goose just spins around? Easy solution: stop spinning!"


I see your point, O mysterious questioner. But this whirling is so fun! It's part of contra dance. (which I've totally blogged about  <-- though that's an embarrassing post)

My theory is that spinning makes one kind of inner ear movement, and car rides make another.
After I'm done spinning, of course I have to ride in a car to get home. It doesn't matter how good the driver is, the movement of the car in general messes with my inner ear.
So, maybe if I didn't have to ride in a car post-spinning, I'd be okay.
MAYBE. 
But, that's not a very logical thing...because these dances are about 60 minutes from my house.
...that's a long walk.

I think that if I were to keep twirling indefinitely, I'd be fine. My body would adjust to the constant movement. But, it's hard to keep on spinning, obviously.
It's the stopping that messes me up. Something with my inner ear's equilibrium totally flips out. The other problem is that I don't know that I'm dizzy until a while later.
...then it hits, and I feel terrible for the next few hours.

I don't understand. How can something I like so much make me feel so crummy?
...it might have to do with the fact that tonight/last night I danced every dance.
For three hours, I danced.
I never felt dizzy during the dances.

Maybe I need to chill out on 'getting my money's worth' or whatever rationale makes me keep dancing ad infinitum.

...because my money wasn't worth that feeling.
So, next time I'll try to take it easy.
Hold me to it, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...