Friday, March 04, 2011

Books...and bookwormishness

So, my posts have been really long as of late.
I don't mean for them to be so overwhelmingly detailed and rambly, I assure you.  I'll work on keeping them to the point.

I'm just assuming you're a fast reader, that's all. It's a compliment.
*wink*



I've been an avid reader all of my life; as a result, I've honed my ability to read great quantities of literature within a limited time.
I'm not bragging though, because my math skills have suffered. I guess it's a trade-off. I'm not the quickest whip when it comes to math:

"hey Makenzie, what's 359 times 86?" 
"... *long pause* give me a minute...ummm...carry the seven, (incoherent mumbling)...let me go get my  pencil and paper." 


Yeah, I'm lame like that.
But if you give me a book, I will wolf that baby down in a flash, and I'll retain the information. Maybe that's my superpower! (I'm still on the lookout for discovering what my superpower is...since this post)

Lately, I haven't been reading much, because I've been feeling like ALL LITERATURE follows the same basic plot --no matter where you turn.
...read enough books and you'll see this is true. They can entertain, inform, etc., but there is nothing new under the sun.

Especially when it comes to LOTR rip-offs. If I had a dime for every story that steals from that saga...I'd be rich. I've pretty much given up on action-adventure-novels-set-in-a-distant-kingdom-with-unlikely-heroes. And there's many many books like that. They all end the same way.

There are countless other examples of lazy writing, too. I shan't go into those.

It makes me sad to see the degradation of story-telling.

Thankfully, there is one book that has the best overtones, foreshadowing, twists, and turns. It never gets old, and for that I am glad.
 There are hidden gems within its pages.  It's alternately wry, convicting, applicable, and prophetic. There is love, hate, treachery, forgiveness, and hope within its pages.

The best part is that it's all true. The events recorded actually happened.

Also, (here's the crazy-cool part), it's a living book.  Majorly. Awesome.

You might know what book I'm talking about.
If you do, I hope you're as thrilled as I am to have it.

If you haven't read it, you should. It's the best read (and this is coming from a bookworm.)

....

ALSO, today is NATIONAL GRAMMAR DAY!
The teacher in me rejoices.

To celebrate such a day, here is a link celebrating the power of grammar...it can save you from a nazi: grammar nazi video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...