Thursday, March 31, 2011

After getting officially licensed...

So, yep. I'm alive.
The DMV guy was nice enough, he actually was pretty funny.

In an attempt to ease my nerves, I tried to make small talk as we walked to my car.
Me: "So, you must be a really patient guy, huh? All of those new drivers. You must be laid-back."
Mr. DMV: "Actually, no. I wouldn't say that at all. I really don't like this job. I was laid off last year, and I was drawing unemployment. When the government offers you a job, you can't really say no without giving up the unemployment benefits."

I had a greater sympathy for him after that. Up until then, I had felt that he was just a creature in a uniform, with no life. After he shared that tidbit, he became more than an old guy working at DMV. He wasn't some mean trickster trying to trip me up and fail me. He was just trying to keep his head above water. He was a human being.

At one point he told me he was going to tell me to stop in the near future. He said I should stop as if there was a little child in front of the car.

A LITTLE CHILD IN FRONT OF THE CAR?!???!! AHHHH!

A minute later, he told me to stop.
Immediately, I pictured myself screaming and slamming on the brakes, hard. Maybe throw a little skidding and swerving in there too, for dramatic effect.

I'm such a literalist.
Since there was no child, and he didn't need whiplash or hearing damage, I just stopped quickly (but smoothly, if I do say so myself)

The rest was uneventful. 

I have no idea about the picture, since the DMV has started mailing out licenses...but I'm sure it's terrible. Such things usually are. Especially since he didn't tell me when he was snapping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...