Saturday, October 08, 2011

Creeped out? Again? It happens.

Tonight, I was creeped out.
Do you want to know why? Read on. It's humorous, in its own special special way. (I love how special can mean so many things...)

So today, after work, I decided to make a run to the store.
I know I've ranted before about how much I hate wal-mart.
I have taken vows to never shop there.
Buuut, well, I'm not super-rich.
Walmart has pretty much the cheapest stuff, and usually it's okay quality.
When I am rich, I will be a snob and only shop at such "upscale" places like Target (pronounced of course in the french, tar-zhay.) In the meantime, I will shop at Wallie world or, as it is so lovingly called by many a southerner, "wal-mark"
So, I'm at wal-mart, remembering about a million things I wanted to buy. Since I have such terrible allergies to dust mites, I decided it was time to invest in a personal air purifier.
I'm glad I was at wal-mart and not an air purifier store. Wal-mart gave me about four viable options, and out of the four, only two were worth considering as candidates.
You have no idea how I read the boxes.
I debated and debated.
I could not settle on a flippin' air purifier. I'm sure anyone watching me would have thought I was insane.
One box proudly stated "Elegido por los Doctores!". After flipping the box to the other side, I read "The Doctor's choice!"
How could I not go with the doctor's choice?
But then, the other box assured me, "Eliminates up to 99.97% of air-borne allergens"
The first box? "Eliminates up to 99% of air-bore allergens"
Both boxes showed pictures of the nastiness that naturally thrives in the average household's air. The first box had more pictures, and the replacement HEPA filters weren't as expensive as the second purifier. Plus, how can you argue with what doctors pick?
I mean, really now.

It was a tough call.
I bet you didn't know that I was so terrible at making up my mind, now did you? That's kind of a secret, so we will tie that into the ten day challenge.
Secret #11, you guys! I'm bad at committing to a choice.

Oh, so I was creeped out. The point... right.
So I continued my trek through walmark, and kept finding things I couldn't live without.
THE LION KING IS ON DVD!!!!! I needed that, of course.
Oh-my-goodness-I-love-that-movie...but I did not buy it. I'm trying not to be too frivolous here.
But I wanted it.
Really badly.
Really. Badly.
Then I was distracted by none other than Finding Nemo and Toy Story. It's sad, but both of those movies were stolen a few years ago when my house was robbed.

Lucky robbers.

End of sob story.
Just know, I really want to reown the Lion King. I had it on VHS, but the tape finally gave
out.
I grew up watching that movie over and over and over and over. At least a few times a week. I haven't seen it in years and years, but I'm pretty sure I could still quote it.
When I was 4, I even got the Lion King bed sheets. I still have them. Now that is infatuation.
End of bunny trail.

I saw many a wonder in walmark. I guess I don't go there enough. I found some things on clearance. ...things that I will use next year at camp! Excitement. 
I felt almost like an adult, planning that far ahead.

I could go off on another tangent about camp and what I do to prepare, but that is totally another post.

This post is about being creeped out. Right.
I found plenty of things that I couldn't do without, and finally reached the checkout.
The bill was insane, but I was prepared for it.
THEN, I finally departed walmart. 

Outside. Fresh air. Finally.
The sun had set, and the parking lot lights were on. It was dark, and I hurried to my car.
My stuff was unloaded in the trunk. I saw a car parked next to mine. I walked around to my driver's side door when, I heard a quiet voice.
"M'am?"
I ignored the voice.
"M'am, excuse me?", it was a man's voice, and it was coming from the car next to mine. I fumbled to unlock my door. I still ignored the voice. He tried one more time.
"Miss? Can you help?"
I finally looked over at him. He was a scruffy-looking guy, nondescript features. He was driving an unremarkable white car, complete with Ed Hardy seatcovers. He was definitely giving off a creeper vibe.

"Hey there, I'm in a quandary. Could you come over here? I'm trying to get to ---"  (he said the name of a town about 40 minutes from my current location)
Why was this guy asking me for directions?
Was he going to lure me over to his car and kidnap me?
When I'm alone, I'm on the paranoid side of things. I still was fumbling with my keys. I stayed by my door, not willing to walk over to his rolled-down window. I was ready to scream if the occasion warranted it.
I finally spoke. "Uhmmm, well, if you get on the --- highway headed west, you should be able to get there fairly easily." Finally, my door unlocked. I opened it.
"But, you see, I've just run out of gas..." he began to explain.
Now, I was semi-freaking out. What was this guy going to do? Was he going to ask me for a ride? Force his way into my car?
"...so if you had a few bucks, I'd appreciate it.", he finished.
I had no money. I had just spent it at that blight that is walmart.
"Can you help me out at all?", he asked.
I was truthful when I told him that I couldn't help him out. I told him that there were helpful employees in Walmart. I mean, they have a helpdesk, hello! I think I might have wished him a good night.
I shut my door and locked it.
All of a sudden I was shaking.
I started up my car.
What if that guy was lying about his gas?
What if he decided to follow me?
I say this only because after I pulled out of my space, he backed out of his.


This is what happens when one watches too much X-Files. That show is bringing the paranoia out in me.

I got home without a hitch.

All is well. No stalkers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...