Friday, September 16, 2011

A rant. Moral: be careful what you use.

I am so ill right now.

Not "sick ill" but, "I can't believe how dumb people are", ill.
I'm, "I can't believe what lies people ingest", ill.

I've just discovered that pretty much everything I have cosmetic-wise is chock-full of parabens and potentially harmful chemicals.

I've also realized that 60% of what we put on our skin is absorbed into the body.

Guess what parabens do?

They cause cancer, that's what. They've been linked to all sorts of nastiness. They mimic estrogen, meaning, they can increase the likelihood of breast cancer.

You might think I'm a nutjob, but guess what?

Many of the chemicals in beauty and personal care products haven't been researched fully. We don't know what the long-term effects of the goo we slather on will be.


And guess what else?
I just bought some.

I was told that pretty much every drug-store band of shampoo (yes, even that wonderful-smelling Herbal Essence I loved so much) was bad for my hair.

I was told this by a stylist, so of course I believed her. She knows what she's talking about.

Why are they bad?
Well, the alcohol and chemicals in that stuff is crazy.
Not good for the hair.
At all.
She was right.

I was told to buy some Redken (read: expensive) shampoo. I was told that that stuff is fantastic for my hair.
I was told that it would work miracles. (in so many words)

ha. ha. ha.

I just researched Redken's ingredient list: not good. It has a few different chemicals that have been linked to some bad side-effects in the long term.

Honestly, I feel like a crazy person, because, well, it feels like me vs. the entire cosmetic industry.

I'm one of those wackos who wants to know what exactly is in the stuff she's putting on, not what celebrity is currently endorsing it or what the product is supposed to do.

From now on, I'm only buying the stuff with chemicals that are not linked to cancer, birth defects, and toxicity.

Call me crazy, but I am not such a fan of pumping my body full of junk.
I started out with food and reading labels for bad stuff.  It limited my options.

Now it's time to worry about the beauty aspect. There aren't many bad-stuff-free options out there.
Ugh.
Stupid cosmetic companies.

I am not going to turn into some obsessive freak about makeup, but I am really really put-out right now.

I shelled out $40 for hair care products that have ingredients that may potentially be the death of me.

I say better safe than sorry.

Also, you should check this video out. It explains my rant better than I can:

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...