Friday, April 29, 2011

of pickles and small talk

One of the most-asked questions that I should know the answer to:

"So, what are your hobbies?"

You know, I'm really bad at answering that question.

I have plenty of activities I enjoy; I dabble in a lot of different areas. Really, I have a life
(the need to say that I have a life kinda makes it sound like I don't. But I do. Really. Tomorrow, I'm going to a pickle festival. I mean, how much more happening can I be?)


  • I don't really like to tell people that I'm into photography, because then they might think I'm actually good at it.



  • I don't want to tell them my thing is running, because, frankly, I'm not phenomenal at that either.



  • I don't want to say that it's playing music, because I'm not the next Bach or Mozart. (and def not Jimi Hendrix, since it's the guitar that I have a thing for.) 



  • I don't want to say reading. For obvious reasons.



  • Coffee does not count as a hobby, sadly. 



  • I don't mind saying cooking, because I can cook. But usually, I'm not thinking about cooking when the question is asked. 



  • If I say I'm all into blogging, well, that statement is unreliable. I've said "well, I really like blogging" before, and the responses have been varied; from blank-expression-meaning-oh-you-must-be-a-real-nerd-I'm-walking-away-now  to "ooh, what's your url?
It's hit or miss with the bringing up of blogging.


  • Thrift store shopping? Yes, that's a hobby. It's a fun hobby, but it sounds like a strange thing to say. It makes me sound like one of those ...weird people. 


Most of the things I like to do are not things I care to brag on myself about.
Like most normal people, I don't really like bragging on myself. I like to be bragged about, sure. Self-promotion isn't really my thing.
...Yet I still do it, without meaning to.
I don't understand. Silly ego.

The above-listed activities are all things that I really enjoy, and maybe someday I'll be good at them.

Why do I worry so much, thinking that saying I like to do something will make people have unreal expectations/perceptions about me?

Honestly, I can only attribute it to the fact that I'm an overachiever (...believe it or not)
I have high standards for myself.
I'm working on becoming more accepting of the fact that I'm not the best at everything. It's tough, you know? (said with tongue in cheek)


But when that dreaded question is asked, I never can remember that it isn't, "what are you good at? I'm going to judge you based on your answers.

It's just, "what are your hobbies? I think we could be friends/have a real conversation that isn't boring if you bring something up that sparks my interest, too."

IF I keep that in mind, then I can blab.

Plus, usually when people ask that, it's just small talk. In one ear and out the other. Easily forgotten. 
Hey, I could say I enjoyed being a matador in my free time. 
...I wonder how that would go over... 
ok, I have to sleep so I can be well-rested for the pickle festival. 
No, I wasn't kidding about that. 
It's a real thing:
 
...I'll let you know how it goes. I think I might be eating some pickles. 

2 comments:

  1. Completely unrelated to the post (which was fun to read btw) but you have amaaazing taste in music, just sayin'. Can't play a single song on that list I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That is a fantastic compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...