Thursday, February 02, 2012

on (metaphorical) monkeys and apes

Admittedly, I am like this song:

(I'm sorry you have to pause the playlist in the sidebar to hear this properly...I was feeling like my blog needed some ambiance music, so the return of the autoplay has come.)




When I think about things, I tend to see them as either monkeys or apes. 
Things either are, or they are not, down to the little details. I guess you'd call it fundamental of sorts.

If it has a tail, it's a monkey. If it doesn't have a tail, then it's an ape. Duhh!

In my mind, I think that there is no unknown space. But like Larry, I eventually make a fool of myself in my attempts to classify everything.

God has been working on my extremist way of thinking. 

I am learning that not everything is so black and white. 

Within the body of Christ, there is diversity, and that is awesome
I mean, of course there are still definite things that are no-nos, but as Galatians 5:1 says:
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

In a Christian's life, there are disputable issues that can be handled one way or another without being considered "wrong". 
I struggle with the attitude of, "such-and-such is right, therefore you are wrong, so buckle up and let's change."  Judging others is one of my major flaws I work on daily.

It's a terrible attitude to have, I know. 

I think it comes with being an oldest child, the one who feels like they know everything [or need to know everything...] 

(I'm sure, if you are a younger sibling, you know how oldest siblings are all too well. If you're like me, an oldest child, and you're still in denial, you are wrong. It's true. You know it deep down that you want to be always right. It's normal, never fear.)

The big lesson I am learning: It's not about the legalism

My faith isn't dependent on whether or not I "believe" in dating, which, as you may know, is a pretty hot button issue.

My faith doesn't rely on the fact that we have meetings on Sunday at 9:30 and 11.

It doesn't matter if I believe that it's okay for men to not wear suits on Sunday morning. 

It doesn't matter if I believe that drums and guitars have a place in church. Or if I believe that it's okay to raise hands during worship. 

It doesn't matter if I think it's bad to listen to secular music.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

All of that stuff? It's really irrelevant. 

It doesn't determine if you're a monkey or an ape. 

In Romans 14, Paul totally backs me up (the whole chapter is amazing and convicting, but I'll just post bits of it): 

"     ... One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.  For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.  For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.

It is written:
   “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
   every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

  So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
  Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 
...For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.
  Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.
 ...So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."

There is only one black and white to be concerned about.

That last sentence there: everything that does not come from faith is sin. 


Woah.

Think about that.
If my focus shifts from what Paul calls, "disputable matters", and rather focuses on what really matters, I don't have to wonder if something is good or not. I don't have to get bogged down in the minutia. 

Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. 

Having a relationship with God and striving to please Him is all that truly matters. I'm not supposed to compare myself to others and judge them for their perceived "weakness". My goal is instead to always act in faith. When I read that, I felt a strong conviction. I need to be so sold out on Christ that every action, every move I make, is in Him. I need to readjust my focus. 


Life isn't about going to college, getting a job, being successful. 
Life isn't about finding a special someone, a love of my life.
Life isn't about how popular and well-liked I become. 

All of those things are nice, and frosting on the cake. 

But they are not what's important. 

Life is about serving God and being a part of His work. 
Life is about growing in my relationship to Him, knowing Him better. 
Life is about looking ahead towards the eternity of happiness, of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

That's definitely something to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...