Monday, July 04, 2011

What makes me a fuddy-duddy part 3: malls

Oh dear.
This could be a long post.

As you may well know, there are a few things about me that are not exactly following the norm, and therefore my sisters call me an old lady for it.

One such area: I am not a fan of the mall.
Ew, that place is gross.
No, really, it is.

Have you even been to one?
If you're an American, I'm going to bet that the answer is yes.

They you know what I'm talking about, right?
Riiiight?
Come on, who in their right mind actually enjoys the mall? Every so often, I admit, it's fun to peruse the stores. Every so often. Like, once every few months.

The mall is a place where people just throw money around. It's sickening.

There is no such thing as true frugality at the mall. Sometimes, every blue moon, you might hit an epic sale and really get some deals.

Such things are far and few between, sadly.

Stores and salespeople are out there to convince you that you cannot live without their product, whether it be clothes or fancy gadgets.

They try to pressure you into signing up for credit cards with insane interest rates.

They play to your emotions and the frenzy that comes when there is a so called "once in a lifetime offer".
Hah.

Oh materialism.

Do you realize how much markup there is on the majority of things at the mall?


Coffee is five bucks for a few ounces. What a rip-off!

A regular t-shirt can easily be $20. I've found the exact same shirt "on sale" a week later for $5. If that doesn't bother you, I don't know what to say.

That's only the tip of the iceberg.

The mall will disorient you and make you forget the time. You can go in when it's bright and sunny outside, stay for what you think is an hour, and go outside to a setting sun.

Then there are the masses of humanity. Masses of people are not my favorite. *shudder*

There are too many strollers. Just way too many. Why do moms want to expose their little ones to such a place? Maybe when I'm a mom, I'll understand.

Then there's the groups of moseying teenagers.
There are many sub categories to this group. I'm not going into it. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I could go on ranting.

But one thing that is good about the mall is that when you go, you get a taste of general humanity.
The mall draws a wide, vast crowd.

The mall is a place for people to find temporary fulfillment.
After one makes a big purchase, one will get a rush. One feels elated. It's true. there have been studies on how shopping influences the mind. I've experienced it.


"During a shopping experience, the human brain apparently releases the chemical dopamine, a kind of natural messenger which is essential to the normal functioning of the brain, and which has a role in our ability to experience pleasure or pain. It appears also to have a role in addictive behavior. Simply put, if an action makes us feel good we want to repeat it."
~CBS News 

But these people keep coming back because the dopamine doesn't last and they want to be happy.
Their purchases go out of style, wear out. The feeling of cool fades.


The mall is a fantastic place to shine the light of Jesus. There are so many people there hungry for fulfillment and acceptance.
You can tell just by watching them. 
They're looking for something more than that sweater or gadget. Sometimes, there will be an opportunity to witness/connect. 
When such an opportunity comes to make a connection with someone, I don't mind the mall so very much. 
Also, I read these verses, and I felt that it was something I desperately need to keep in mind:
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.  
~ Colossians 4:5-6 

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...