Friday, July 08, 2011

French (braiding, that is)

I love the fact that I've finally figured out how to french braid my hair.
It took me a good while to get it down pat. I never really tried to learn it in the past, but now with my hair getting long, it's a necessity.

The other day, my hair was really getting on my nerves. It's not like I have an abnormally huge mass of hair or anything...

before I continue, I'll tell you this: I've just never really had what would be called "long" hair.
Really.
I've decided to change this. I've decided to grow my hair out longer than it has ever been. Not a insurmountable goal, to say the least. 

When I was growing up, I just never really felt like having it long.
I liked having shortish hair that was easy to comb and fix. I was an active kid, and I hated having to spend time brushing and fixing my hair.
If it was in a cute bob or just shoulder length, there were no worries! I never had tangles. A few times, I even went so far as to get a pixie cut. Now that was an easy haircut to deal with.

Plus, it takes my hair a loooooong time to grow out.
Growing out is a patient process for normal people, because you have to deal with that awkward "in-between-styles" phase. For me, with my abnormally slow hair growth, it's like torture.
In the past, when that phase would hit, I'd tell my mom I just wanted it all cut off.

Well, I've finally reached a point where I really want to have longer hair.
I have been patient.
I have had it barely trimmed. I have suffered. A few times, I've thought about cutting it. My mom knows about my goal, and she has helped to talk me down.

Finally, I'm noticing results. Yay!

But with the extra happy comes extra work.
Longer (my hair is still nothing to write home about) hair is a real pain. When my hair was shorter, I never had a need to brush it thoroughly. I'd put a bit of product in it and dash out the door.

Now if I don't brush and smooth and put good smelling funky stuff in it, I get snarls and frizz. I'm realizing this. It makes me sad.

When my hair was shorter, I didn't have to worry about it getting in my way when I tried to do things. {Like eating, for example. It's a funny thing to see. Don't watch me eat.}

Now, I have to put my hair up in order to get things done.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the "longer" hair, but it is making me become more conscious of my hair and appearance.

I have to actually spend time making it look good. (and even then...ha)

Like today, I had spent time smoothing, brushing, tousling, and blow-drying my hair.
I'd say I felt pretty good about the style.

Guess what happened? Well, I fixed my hair because I was going out into a public place.

Right as I was driving and almost at my destination, it started raining.  Like, a torrential downpour is what I'm talking about. I had to dash about a block (I didn't know it was going to rain, so no umbrella) in the floodwater-like rain.

All of that time I had spent with my hair?
GONE. Down the drain.
Hah.
Vanity gets me nowhere, apparently. My hair started frizzing out, oh boy.
I should have just left it alone after my shower for all the good the work did me.

Not that it really mattered, but I felt annoyed that I had taken the time and the time was utterly wasted in a matter of two minutes.

Also, my hair used to be straight as a stick. Like ZERO curls. Now, I'm getting *some* curls, and my hair has a greater propensity to frizz. Can anyone explain this?

So, what I was saying:
I am so so so thankful for the french braid.
With my shorter hair, I could just put it in a messy bun.

With longer hair, my messy bun is 1) messy in a real sense 2) heavier on my head/like a lump.
Plus, the french braid has improved my running.
I HATE running with my hair in a ponytail. The fwap-fwap on the back of my neck from the ponytail as I run is so annoying to me.
Also, gravity does not help matters. When running, ponytails come out within ten minutes of fixing them (unless they're really tight...ouch!)

The french braid keeps all of my hair out of the way. It's not heavy, and it makes my hair orderly.
Revolutionary, I know.

I'm sure you're riveted by this post, eh?
It was a lot of writing that really said nothing...ooh! I should be a textbook writer! Or maybe I'll write scholarly articles. *wink-wink*

Don't worry, I have some thoughts, interesting thoughts, I'm chewing on.
They aren't quite ready to be shared yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...