Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Of romance and camels

Ohh readers.
You made my day.
You also gave me insight.

After I posted about camp crushes, I got so many page views in a very short time.
I am sure, if you read the post, you were expecting something else.

I bet that you were a bit bummed out to read that the post was not about interpersonal relationships and my romantic life.

Apparently, that is what my readers want to see.
Romance.
You guys want the juicy scoop. I can understand, because, well, I'm the same way. Don't tell anyone, though.

I would much rather read about beauty and crushes than benadryl highs and running.

Yesterday, I was on a psychology website. Guess what the top articles were about?
Beauty. Dating. Beauty. Romance.

As humans, we're hardwired to appreciate such things.

We love it when the hero gets the girl.
We smile at sweet love stories.
We cheer when we witness a proposal of marriage.
We wonder at the complexities of relationships.
When we see two people who are über-compatible, we wait with bated breath, willing them to be together.
Sometimes we even mentally pair people up. A silent-matchmaker (though you'd never admit it)

Perhaps you specifically don't do these things, but I'm just generalizing (and from the looks of my blogger stats, there's a good chance that you do do these things)

~~~~~~
Though some details are left to the imagination, the story of Isaac and Rebekah is so sweet. You know the premise, right?

So, back when the nation of Israel consisted of one family...in Genesis 24:
Abraham
(he's a pretty big figure in history. Not Lincoln...the other one. The one who started the nation of Israel)
is Issac's dad. Isaac is old enough to be married.
Abraham sends out his old trusted servant to find a wife for his son.
That sounds weird, since we don't really do that nowadays, but hang on. Even though the culture has changed, the basic premise has not.

So the servant goes out to find a wife for Isaac. That had to be a nerve-wracking experience. I mean, he's picking the lady who is going to be with Isaac 'till death they do part.
What if's must have flooded that servant's mind.
He brought some of his concerns to his master.

Abraham assured him that the Angel of the Lord was going before him. Reassuring, but still. This servant is going to trek for hundreds of miles to find a girl. I bet it felt like finding a needle in a haystack. An insurmountable task. How will he know when he finds the one? (sooo many people wonder that...it's a timeless question)

So the servant travels to the land from whence Abraham came with ten camels and gifts in tow.
He comes to a well. He rests.
So what does the servant do next?
He prays for guidance. The perfect solution!
He also prays for a qualifier so he knows it's the right girl for Isaac.
I'm betting you've heard this story...

Anywho, he prays that as he rests by this well (with his entourage of camels) that a girl will come along to draw water. He will ask her for water, and she will give him some. Not only that, she will offer to draw water for all of his camels too.

Because that is what a quality girl looks like.

A girl who is willing to go above and beyond her call.

The servant could have waited ages for such a girl, but (awesome!) God is so in control.

God sent the girl (Rebekah), before the servant was even done praying.  She was exactly what the servant was looking for. She was Isaac's match.

She came up. She drew her water. The servant asked if he could have a drink.
She gave him water, and then informed him that she would water his camels. The servant didn't have to even hint or ask.
(Camels drink a lot of water in one sitting. This girl must have been a strong person)

It wasn't like this:

Servant: "Hi there! How's it going? ...wow, it's really hot out here, huh?"  
Rebekah: "Hi! Yep, sure is. Pretty sweltering heat." 
Servant: "Well, you know, I sure am sweating. It's easy to get dehydrated out here. You know what would be really great is some water. *pointedly looks at well* May I get a cup, please? 
Rebekah: "Sure, but, you should have brought something to draw water with. That's a deep well, you know.
Servant: "I see. Well, my camels, oh man, my camels are so thirsty. Just look at the poor things. It'd be really great to have some water. For the camels...look at their sad faces...AHEM.
Rebekah: "Aww, poor things...I hope you brought a jar with you! I'm having a hard enough time as it is. You're a man, you take care of your camels."


There was none of that. It was totally God-ordained. She took initiative and served, no questions asked. It wasn't like she was a flirt either. It's not like some handsome man came up to her. It was an old servant guy with ten thirsty camels.

After she waters the camels, the servant tells her that he was looking for a wife for his master's son (Surprise!), he claps expensive bracelets on her and gives her a nose ring, and says if Rebekah is willing, she can come to marry Isaac.

Long story short, he tells her family, they realize it's God-ordained, and eventually the servant and Rebekah head back.

Now here is the part that I love.
They travel back to Abraham's camp, and Isaac is out in the field meditating.
Rebekah notices him. I'm pretty sure he notices her, too.
It might have been a *SHAZAM!* moment.
Instant connection.

I say this because as they were approaching, she saw Isaac, and asked who the man was, signaling her interest. She found out, "hey! It's the guy I'm going to marry!" 
Then she veiled herself. She stayed modest and appropriate.

Their relationship was a God-thing-- Genesis 24 says that Isaac loved Rebekah deeply.

Also, this girl was blessed for her servant-heart.
Seriously blessed monetarily. I mean, Abraham had been extravagantly blessed by God in every way, and he left everything to Isaac.

Moral of the story: God is in control.
Moral of the story: Don't fret over the future.
Moral of the story: water old guy's camels. You never know... *wink*

I want to be like Rebekah.
She was friendly, beautiful, outgoing, modest, servant-hearted, and open to God's calling. She was just living and serving where she was.
Of course she was human and had flaws, but in this area, she showed a fantastic example.

I hope someday I have a sweet story in that same vein.

When I do, maybe I'll share it and it won't be a misleading post like that other one.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... your thinking if I have understood, is very intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great, gifted writer! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...