Thursday, February 24, 2011

pictures

Yesterday, I worked on sorting my pictures.
*cue jim croce songs* (what?? You don't know what I'm talking about? Listen to his groovy song here: groovy Jim the great guitarist)

Pictures from my childhood...

It was weird. Sorting through the pictures brought back memories I had totally forgotten. I realized just how little I used to be. When I was little, I didn't realize it. I thought I was big stuff. In my mind I was a grown-up.
Seriously.


I guess it's weird to look at old pictures of yourself and aww over them.
That's like the ultimate narcissim.
But I did. I looked at my old pictures and thought, "wow, I was so cute! ...what happened?"


I'm the firstborn kid in my family, and my parents were really camera-happy when I was a baby. Though I grew up pre-facebook, I have SO MANY PICTURES of me during the first few years of my life.
I'm not complaining.
I think those pictures help define who I am today. Maybe they encouraged my love of drama (NOT inter-personal drama...I hate that stuff. I mean, theater and acting and such.)
For all of my childhood, my life's goal was to be an actress. From the time I knew what an actress was, I was certain that I would love being on the silver screen...

I really enjoy taking pictures. I've had more than my fair share of pictures taken, plus, I'm not nearly as cute now. So I try to limit the pictures that get taken of me.


It's so nice to remember old memories.
As I sorted the pictures, I was loving the happy memories of being two...and then I hit some awkward preteen pictures.

Talk about Majorly. Awkward.

About 2003, my parents invested in a digital camera, so MOST of the pictures taken during my awkward growing stages are tucked away on a hard drive, away from my eyes, thank goodness.
But a few have snuck into my photo box.
Ew. Ew. Ew.

See, I went through growth spurt phases, just like every other kid.
I didn't go about it gracefully at all.
I bumbled my way through life from age 11 to 14. Once I hit 16, the growing and embarrassment kinda, sorta, in a frog-like waystopped. I'm not saying I'm embarrassment-free by any means, but we'll say that it's decreased by a power of 10 or so. I was amazed when I could walk across a level floor without falling or tripping in some manner. I have a few scars from falling off of things, be it a bike I was attempting to race, a scooter that should not have sped downhill, etc, etc.
It's pathetic, really.

But I guess I should accept the good with the bad. The awkward pictures are just as important as the cute ones. Collectively, they do define my past.

I'd just rather not be reminded of my awkward phase...

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...