Tuesday, February 22, 2011

my american idols

God has been teaching me something.
 I've noticed a recurring theme. It's popped up during my devotionals, when I hear a sermon, and in Bible study.

Yep, God's trying to get my attention.

The question that has been posed to me over and over is:
"Where or what is the source of my security?"

I'm a born-again Christian, and, of course the correct answer is that I should have security and hope in God alone.
This is true, but sometimes other things start to creep in and wedge themselves between me and God.
God is telling me to shake off those hinderances.

God calls me to be a living sacrifice and to press on-- uninhibited by other things:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." -romans 12:1

Note the living part of that phrase. Living sacrifices (I know this is redundant) are alive. They still have free will to choose to crawl off of the altar. Living things still have a will to struggle against.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 
Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.
And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son?
It says, 
“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” 
-hebrews 12:1-6
Convicted much? I am.

I've been in Bible Study Fellowship (BSF is a great way to get to know the scriptures) and we've been studying the book of Isaiah this year.
One major theme in Isaiah: God hates idolatry.
Some may laugh at the thought of having a little wooden statue.
Idolatry in America? Suure.

I've been thinking about what it really means to be an idolater. Isaiah is exceedingly clear.Again and again God says, "I am the Lord, and there is no other."
He alone is to be the source of strength in my life, but so often, I find myself getting my self-worth from external, unimportant things, be it schoolwork, social acceptance, fashion, friends, even...*gasp* blogging.

Anything can become an idol. ANYTHING.

God totally slams other "gods" in chapter 44 of Isaiah:

All who make idols are nothing,
   and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind;
   they are ignorant, to their own shame.
 Who shapes a god and casts an idol,
   which can profit nothing?
 People who do that will be put to shame;
   such craftsmen are only human beings.



then after going into the details of the irony of idol worship, God says: 



“Remember these things, Jacob,
   for you, Israel, are my servant.
I have made you, you are my servant;
   Israel, I will not forget you.
 I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
   your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me, for I have redeemed you.”
  Sing for joy, you heavens, for the LORD has done this;
   shout aloud, you earth beneath.
Burst into song, you mountains, you forests and all your trees,
for the LORD has redeemed Jacob,
   he displays his glory in Israel." 

Whenever I read passages like the one above, it fills me with great hope. It's like this joy that starts springing up. God loves me, and does so much for me. I am free, redeemed, accepted in Him.  I can plug my name in for Israel. 


(and though the above passage is "speaking to Israel", and I would be traditionally a "gentile", Galatians 3:29 says, "if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."...just as a tangent. Such things confused me for a while. :P ) 


I think what makes me so happy is is that I'm actually getting the correct perspective: realizing the shortness of this life, seeing what really matters, and getting pumped up for my eternal future. It refreshes my spirit. 


I hope you have the same joyful expectancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...