Wednesday, February 02, 2011

coffee and philosophy

I had a dream...

A dream in which everything was realistic, unlike my normal dreams. It was realistic to the point of confusion; it took me a few minutes to figure out what reality was when I woke up. 

It reminded me of the story of the man and the butterfly.

The classic philosopher's conundrum (in the line of Zhuangzi's thinking...thanks, Wikipedia ):  

Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Zhuangzi. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi. But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi. Between Zhuangzi and a butterfly there must be some distinction! 







Poor guy. I felt his confusion. 

But then I found my point of distinction between reality and dream worlds: 

Coffee. 
Thanks, douglasgreen for espresso-ing yourself so well!  

After I had my coffee, I knew which world was real. Sadly, my dream world was coffeeless. There is yet another bonus to having a caffeine addiction! 

Cappuccino saved my sanity. Well, not really, but, you know what I mean. 


Anyways, Zhuangzi was an interesting philosopher.  
He comes off as a bit of a nutcase when you read his bio...but what human isn't insane without universal truth? 

It made me want to re-read my worldview textbooks. 

Philosophy is fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...