Friday, February 11, 2011

The insanity of some runners

As I've gotten into the world of running, I've begun to feel overwhelmed and small.
 It's hard to feel satisfied with my level of ability. You see, there's always a bigger fish in the ocean.


Runners are extremely competitive. 
Sure, they're mostly competing with themselves, trying to best their personal records, but there will always be someone to one-up your achievement. 

{I have found the ultimate one-up, if I had the gutzpah and endurance to do it.}



First, let me say,  that there are various levels of running:
  1. "Hey you guys! I just ran a mile today! I'm feeling good!" 
  2. "Oh, I'm doing a 5K in a few weeks. Just getting into the swing of running..."
  3. "Hah, good for you! Well, I'm doing a 10K; I plan to place." 
  4. "You've got nothing on me; I'm doing a half-marathon." 
  5. "Psh, a half-marathon? why not just go a full marathon? Going halfway is for wimps. That's why I do the full." 
  6. "I laugh at you all and your insignificant milage, I'm doing an ultra-marathon. That's right, 100 miles." 


Then there's the ultra-ultra-ultra race: THE ULTIMATE one-up. 

"Well, I'm running the Iditarod Trail Invitational. It's in Alaska, where you can easily die for any number of causes. Look here:

Alaska Ultra Sport's Iditarod Trail Invitational is the world's longest human powered winter ultra-marathon. The race begins in Knik, Alaska and follows the Iditarod Trail to McGrath, Alaska for the finish of the three hundred fifty mile "short race". Racers competing in the eleven hundred mile version will continue up the trail to Nome, Alaska.

Care to join me? You can die, get frostbitten, feel cold and uncomfortable, and run 1100 miles in the icy winter. You pretty much have unlimited bragging rights after an ordeal like that.

Disclaimer: **Runners aren't usually like how I've described. Runners don't put others down, they are encouraging of each other's accomplishments...**

I heard about this invitational via my dad. It's pretty much the hardest race in the world. It takes place in February in Alaska. 



Ohh, doesn't that tent look so comfortable? After a day of hard running? As if. 


Insurmountable as it feels to ever attain that level of strength (or insanity) the proverbial turtle was right when he said slow and steady wins the race. You don't become an ultra-marathoner overnight (or in my case, ever). 


The human body takes time to build up to getting in peak condition. Lots of time. 

For those about to compete in the Iditarod running race (it's happening in a few weeks), I salute you. You get a pass to brag all you like. You also make me look sane. 


If you want to see the total run-down on this insane race, you can go to: http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/ 


2 comments:

  1. I've been trying running. Not been able to be regular with it though, nursing school really makes it hard to faithfully do it. Come spring/summer, it's gonna be more of a regular thingy in my schedule. I love running when I can though.

    Kenzie, I LOVE your blog's playlist!! Great taste! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Running is kinda/sorta a sport for insane people,don't you think? ;) It can get really hard (at least for me), but it's soo worth it!
    Thank you! I'm so glad you like the tunes! It's such chill music, and it's inspiring me to get better at guitar ;)

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...