Sunday, October 03, 2010

The problem of being an Owl

I am nocturnal. 
I don't understand it. 
My brain begins to wake up when most other people are winding down. 
I am much more productive after the sun has set. 
...much to the chagrin of those I live with. 
When I roomed with my sister, it drove her INSANE. Right as she was ready to turn out the light, I would begin working on a project/pondering problems and coming up with solutions. 


She didn't get it. She just wanted her sleep. Poor thing. 


For me, nighttime has a magical feel to it. I can focus, there are fewer distractions. All is still and quiet. 
Peaceful. 


The world sleeps. 




Part of my nocturnalallity (?) may stem from the fact that I'm super-focused. At night I can be focused. 


I never see the forest, 
                 always the trees  
                       (more like the leaves on the trees, or the individual bark flakes.) 


  {I was the kid in school who NEVER finished my in-class kindergarten coloring page assignment. (My teacher talked this over with my parents a time or two) And it wasn't that I was ADD or ADHD or simply not doing the work. I was working, but I was getting so engrossed in my work, that I couldn't stop. I didn't know where to stop. Art is never finished, it seems. 


I also have certain perfectionistic tendencies, so that doesn't help much.


Anyways, after that carrot in a cookie jar...}


Yet for all of the productivity, clarity, and focus I get at night, mornings are the inverse. 
Anything requiring more than basic motor skills is beyond me.
Seriously.
Ask those who know me. 


I digress. I'm sure there are plenty of other focused night owls out there. Maybe someone will help me to understand my issue.


So, I took a personality test. 
Silly, I know. 


I think it automatically classifies you in a certain category for even taking a personality test. (I will say that this personality test was legit. Not some facebook quiz. It was something like 100 questions long. It was also certified by the college board. So.) 


According to this test I am: 
Extroverted
iNtuitive
Thinking
organiZing


and according to the personality profiler, (I shouldn't listen to such things, I know) I am a "director". 
It said: 
ENTZs are competitive, ambitious, commanding, and organized. You have an inquisitive and adventurous spirit. You do not like to be confined by strict rules or limitations on your freedom. 
Interpretation: Bossy. 




Aw, come on guys. I'm not that bossy right?
Right?


Ahem. I'm not discussing this further. Be quiet. 


I feel embarrassed for posting this up on my blog. But not too many people read this, so I think I'll be ok for admitting that yes, I am a teensy bit bossy. It must come with being the oldest child in my family...


Also, I don't know why they decided to capitalize certain letters for ENTZ. 


Whatever. 




So I was listening to JJ Heller's album Painted Red. She is fabulous. Her music is chill. 


Also, I took a love language test. It's neat to ponder. 
Everyone has a way they like to receive love. (and I'm not just talking romance) 
Everyone has a way of showing love. 


So, for me, if you want to show love, you will buy me lots of presents. Preferably expensive ones from Tiffany's.
  
Gifts are my language.


Kidding. 


My love language isn't gifts. 




Still, giving me a present never hurts... 




Hey, if you want to know your love language, you can take a preliminary quiz by clicking love language test


If you haven't read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, I'd suggest it. 






Okay, that's my two cents for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...