Friday, January 20, 2012

FINALLY CONFIRMATION!!!

Hello everyone! 
So, it's official. 
I'm SUCH a flip flopper. 
But really, I'm trying to be open to God's calling. 
Guess what? 

I have news. 

Back in October, I heard about a place in Burundi, Africa called the rainbow centre (click for more information!). A few different people I had come into contact with through various church events had mentioned it as a great place to serve and grow.  I knew of a few girls who had gone out there before to serve.
So, I contacted Ms. Melli and Mr. Ken, the missionaries who live out in Burundi. I was met with such encouragement and excitement at the prospect of me coming. There would be plenty for me to do, and everything would work out well. 

I am not one to simply jump on a bandwagon, but the prospect gave me a happy, excited chill. I felt stoked at the thought.

I felt like this was it

But then, being the thinker and analyzer that I am, I had to rationalize and reason out why I would be going. I kept asking, "is this truly where God wants me?

I have knocked on other doors of opportunity, but that same warm reception I had gotten from Ms. Melli just wasn't there.  It didn't feel like the fit. The other ministries were great, but were not where I needed to be.

I waited for the official word, the confirmation from God. My happy euphoric feeling was not all that could confirm that this was the right place.
My parents have been praying. I've been praying. Lots of prayer and patience.

For a while, I was discouraged. I am not good at waiting. I needed the go-ahead from God, and I just wasn't getting it. 

Now, I am positive that this is what I need to do. This is what I am supposed to do.

There are a multiplicity of "excuses" I could use for not going:

It's almost halfway around the world. 

It might not be comfortable. 

I am not a fluent speaker of the native language. 

I'm, well, a super-white girl. 

It's potentially dangerous.  (And oh boy, people have let me know that last point!)

I am going into this knowing that it is going to be work. I am going there to serve, comfort is totally secondary.  I know it might be uncomfortable. It's not a vacation. It is a third world country, after all. It will be a totally new crazy experience. I'm not much of a risk-taker, but I can feel the pull and call of this place.

When I think about the Rainbow Centre and going there, I am filled with such a joy and a peace, it's crazy cool. It's a euphoric feeling. 

I know that I am going to get to do some major growing up. 

I know that I am going to be stretched and molded into a better servant of the King of kings.

So you might be wondering what exactly I would be doing in Africa. Well, I would be helping to care for the sweet HIV+ babies at the centre. I would teach them Bible stories and songs. I would help the little ones with their ABC's and 123's.

On Tuesday, I met John and Benjamin (the same ones I took to the Christmas Parade) from Congo's brand new baby brother. Ah, the wonderfulness!
Holding that sweet little newborn baby was amazing and a further confirmation that I would l.o.v.e. this work.

Of course, as far as safety goes, Africa is Africa. There are definite risks. There is nowhere safer than God's plan, but my parents are making sure that I take all of the necessary precautions. My dad is going to fly out there with me, which is great for my safety, but it adds to the cost. 

The biggest hurdle right now is the cost of the flight. It's about $1500-$2500 for a ticket to Bujumbura, Burundi. 
This is always kinda awkward to ask, but if you feel lead to donate to the cause, holy moly, it would be so amazing.
Any amount will do and be met with overflowing thankfulness.
I made an easy little button to click if you feel like supporting me. (It's in the sidebar, too!)

My food and board will be covered while I am there, my only expense will be that plane ticket to Bujumbura (suuch a fun word to say! Bujumbura! I am going to like this language)

The best thing you can do for me is to pray. Any and all prayers are SO SO SO SO SO appreciated.
I am certain that this is the right course, but now to make that happen! I'm planning on leaving around the end of February.
If you'd like to get in touch with me, besides facebook, you can email me at contactkenziebeth@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...