Tuesday, November 02, 2010

the feel-good food of the season.

I am proud to say that I made potato soup.
I am also glad to say that my potato soup turned out nicely, and is currently warming my hands as I slurp it from my bowl.

It was terribly simple, but as is true with almost any soup, it takes a bit of time to make.

It's savory, but it doesn't overstimulate your taste buds.
The purpose of this kind of soup is to heal.

With the colds going around  [and my allergies], immunity boosters are most welcome. Drinking it immediately makes you feel like your immune system has been enhanced. It's one of the ultimate feel-better foods (in my opinion)

Okay, I'm no chef (although that was my life-plan when I was 15), but here is my version of potato soup:




  • First, thinly slice some potatoes {(I used 6, but that makes a lot of soup) The potatoes should look like chips}.  Cover them with water and a lid in a large pot.
  • Bring them to a boil, allowing them to simmer until the potato slices are tender (it'll be around 30 minutes).  Use a potato masher to stir/break down the slices. 
  • While the potatoes are boiling/simmering, sauté some garlic (2 cloves for 6 potatoes) in olive oil.
  • After the potatoes have softened, add your secret herbs, garlic, a splash of Marsala, salt, pepper, and a bit more water. 
  • Allow the flavors to meld for 10-15 minutes on low heat. 

Serve with some feta, cheddar cheese and a dallop of sour cream.

Ta-daaa! Instant feel-good food.

"What secret herbs?", you ask?

I don't think I should tell. It is a special soup. I'm sure you're creative enough to come up with some secret herbs of your own.


Fine...you have the right to feel good too...
 I used oregano, dill, thyme, a bay leaf, and some coriander.

Life lesson learned today: Thyme (and time) should be used wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...