Thursday, November 18, 2010

KUDOS (a translation)

If you would like to read a more "american" "readable" version of the above post, click
see more


Awkward situations.

I've had my share. The key thing to do is play them off like it's no big deal. Make it seem as un-awkward as possible.
If you can do that, you're golden. If you can do that, let's be friends.

Once, it was obvious that someone was hinting for a compliment from me. I was oblivious.
{I'm not good with hints. Ask my mom.}
Then it hit me (d'oh!): this person wants me to tell them "good job!"
So I did.
I meant it, but it didn't feel the same as an unsolicited compliment. The unsolicited ones are the BEST. I love those feeling-boosters. They make me smile...

What do you do when you do not think something is not a "job well done" or deserving of compliment?
Answer: Never miss a good opportunity to be quiet.

But, if the person seems desperate for kudos, you can always find something to sincerely compliment or encourage (I'm all for encouraging and building up others), even if it does feel a tad awkward. This is where tact comes in handy. {tact: consideration in dealing with others and avoiding giving offense -princeton website)

It takes some practice to get tact to work for you. But once you get it, it is a very useful tool.

A word of advice: when you do give a compliment, please do be sincere.
Fake compliments are dreadful for many reasons

I have experience. Trust me.

When someone gives me an insincere "great job!" (it's easy to tell, at least in person) it makes me feel even worse than if they were simply honest.

I don't want that kind of pity.

False compliments can backfire on the giver. It's a messy business, let me tell you.
For example:

This is just an example picture...
{and free advertising}
 If someone makes a chipotle blue cheese and green pepper dip
(I despise blue cheese, green pepper, and chipotle flavored things)
and they are so kind as to share some with me, I should not EVER tell them that I find it scrumptious when in reality, I do NOT. I can say it is "interesting" if pressed to give an opinion, and leave it at that.

Lying is bad. Very bad.

You know what will happen if I tell them I love the dip?
They will make me a big batch of it for me to take home for my own eating pleasure. They will then bring the dip up when I see them again.

"Hey Kenzie! Is all of that dip I gave you gone? Will you be wanting some more? You're one of the first people outside of my family to actually like it. I'm so glad you do. I've told everyone I know that you love that stuff...be expecting it for your birthday." 

 Maybe I can get my family to eat it, but I will not be touching that stuff.
So I've caused unnecessary work for the kind sharer, I've lied, and I am likely going to waste food that others might actually eat.
{untrue story, luckily}

Another example of the adverse effects of faking it:

 There's someone who thinks themselves a talented recorder player (when in reality they are not gifted at blowing the whistle). They feel pretty confident.
Thinks being the operative word.
If I were to give a false compliment, I'm pretty sure they would be so nice as to regale me with a long personal concert of sorts.
Talk about major backfire.

The moral: be careful with compliments. Be sincere.
Mean what you say and be willing to live with the consequences....



BONUS!!
The oddness of the English language (both are legal grammar-wise):

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

and 

That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...