Friday, November 12, 2010

clutterbug

So apparently I have issues when it comes to collecting things. 
As I have been reorganizing my stuff while I redo my room, I’m realizing that I am in fact a collector of the following: 
  • rocks from interesting places (the tops of mountains, creeks, beaches...)
  • Coins from around the world 
  • Bells (I inherited the collection) 
  • Sharpies (It’s a disorder, I’m sure) 
  • old letters (can I get an aww? That letter box can be so neat to look through...) 
  • Post Cards (it makes for a cool collage on my bulletin board...) 
  • Pencils (a useful collection, don’t you agree?) 
  • mother of pearl shells and a jar of seashells (One summer at the beach, I couldn’t stop picking them up. They were so shiny and pretty...it's a habit) 
  • Posters. (Very cool band tour posters from the “old days” [a.k.a. the 1980’s.])
  • [As I've said before] old records for my turntable

There’s also a conglomerate of various knick-knacks. Their only function is to look nice. 
I’m thinking about sorting through them, and culling out some old ones... but they all have happy memories attached! You don't want me to lose my memories, do you?!? 
My sisters make fun of me for being so sentimental. 
Okay, I admit I am a smidgen too sentimental about some things. 


But they aren't junky things; they're nice and well kept. I think that’s a good sign. If I cared nothing for my gifts, you’d think me terrible or at least cold and unfeeling. ...and if you thought I didn't care, you probably wouldn't give me anything for my birthday. AHEM.
(it is in 56 days, just so you're prepared. I'll be OLD! Oh the HORROR. I do NOT want to be old and adultish. I have a hard enough time now...I've decided I'm not growing up... backontopic)


I appreciate gifts and see them as an expression of love and thoughtfulness. 
I do admit, it is time for me to pass the love on with some things. 


But you know what's mildly infuriating?? 
As soon as I’ve found a new home for something and it is long gone, I’ll find a good use for it. Arrgh. 
***
I also have a massive collection of books for someone of my age. (Must I bring up age again?!?) 

I know I need to weed and cull, but some of the books are SO GOOD, and I know that someday my sisters will need to read them. Shakespeare, Doyle, Dickens, Austen, Twain, Tolkien, Lewis...

You should be proud, though. I have about 50 that are going to edward mckay (wonderful bookstore). 


There’s even *gasp* my many hardback yellow NANCY DREW books in the box destined to be gone. 
I don’t find much pleasure in re-reading those mystery stories.
I figured out the patterns Carolyn Keene used. They were good books, but the stories lacked depth and the mysteries were slightly repetitive. ..which is why they are aimed at 8-12 year olds.

My sisters never found them fascinating like I did. When I was 6, Nancy Drew was the bee’s knees.  
When I was 12, I discovered Sherlock Holmes. 
His story had the gripping power that Nancy’s lacked. 
So now the works of Doyle have replaced the works of Keene. 


Right now, I have my books stacked on the floor for organizing. I'm staring at them. 
(It's tempting to start rereading some of them. I’m a sucker for a good fairytale...) 
Instead of actually organizing them, I’m allowing my mind to drift and my fingers to type. 


Books... 

Sometimes your view of life can be changed for the better. Books can help you to understand others. You gain knowledge and stimulate the growth of gray matter in the noggin. 
Not all books are like this, but I appreciate the ones that are.

The "escapist" literature in my collection has been weeded out {for the most part. Like I said, I'm a sucker for a good fairy tale.}

okay, okay...the thought that my room will straighten itself is a fairy tale. One that I wish would come true, but sadly, will not. 


Where are you Mary Poppins?? 


1 comment:

  1. you where reading Nancy drew when you where 6?? you really are even more amazing then I thought!!
    and by the way
    your blog is amazing to read I can keep reading it all the time!! love it!!
    Shannon!!

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...