Wednesday, April 04, 2012

on the encouragement of others

Hebrews 3:13 
But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.


Picture this: I'm running. I'm sprinting. In Africa, of all places, the land of the super-runners.
I feel humble. Here I am, a little muzungu (white person) doing my best to run. I'm sure I'm red-faced and sweaty.
The Johnsons live on a loop, a perfect track for running.
It's shaped like a horseshoe, and it has a killer hill. It's also unpaved, so one has to be careful not to twist one's ankles on the big rocks.
It has been hard running, but lovely.

The other day, something happened.

Let me set this up by saying that everyone here who has valuables has a wall. And guards. And barbed wire.
So, every house looks like it could potentially be a prison.

The guards usually sit outside the gate.

So as I run past the guards, I wave and shout out a greeting. Ni Sawa?, Bonjour!, Sava? Ama Horo! or something of the sort.
They respond and smile.
I feel good about this, because if I were ever to have a stroke while running (my mind goes to such places when I'm feeling utterly worn out), they would at least know I was the red-headed muzungu who just waved and smiled and maybe they would help me.
Anyways, as I'm jogging along, feeling like sitting down for a rest, an old man yells out, "courage, courage!" [in a french accent]
It is amazing how those simple words boosted my morale.

My spirit was renewed.

It made me consider how I need that in real life, too.

Let me be totally honest: while I have been here, I have had some down moments. I have been discouraged. I've been sick. I have wondered what the plan is.

I have been learning how intrinsic the encouragement is to doing any sort of work for God. For even trying to function without words of support is nearly impossible for me!

I found Hebrews 3:13: Encourage one another as long as it is called today. 

Hey, guess what? It's always today.  ...I think that's the point.

When I have felt down, I pray that God will help me out. And he has sent the best encouragement. Friends have sent me sweet messages, and I remember that I am not alone in this.

It is amazing how encouragement has come just as I'm about to have a meltdown.

I have had 1 Corinthians 10:13 replaying over and over in my mind:
"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear..."

When I am tempted to have a meltdown or a pity party or whatever, God sends just what I need: a loving word from a sibling in Christ. As I run this race, I need others to shout out, "courage, courage!" to me. And I hope that I can do the same for them. 


So my dear friends, take courage! God has got you. He has a plan. He knows what you can bear. He will give you endurance to run your race for Him.

1 comment:

  1. Joshua 1:5-9 "No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success [a] wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...