Friday, May 14, 2010

Kaleidoscopes con't

So, I feel like I’ve some sense of composure now. Regained some amount of sleep, and therefore I am slightly sane. Sane enough to post something anyways...

This past weekend was simply one of the best. I had such a very fun time. I’ll try to think of good synonyms for fun.  

I’ll just fill you in on what went down. My perception of the whole thing. Well, part of the whole thing. This post would be wayy too long if I posted my thoughts on everything that happened.
As it is, it’s long enough. Really. Maybe too long for you to read. 
(you can commentate and such. I love comments. You can even comment “anonymously” if that is your wish.)
At the start was the getting ready for everything: 
It was a girl party!! 
Painting nails, curling hair and all of that fun stuff. 
(I think that we need to do spa parties more often.)  
So, then the actual prom part...
I went with Peter. 
(I think he’s the reason the prom was SO very fun. It would have been *meh* if I had gone by myself; nowhere near as entertaining or exciting. But don’t tell him that...)
It worked out so perfectly for him to come. I was really happy that he attended. 
My corsage was lovely. I managed not to stab Peter badly with his boutonnière pins. 
I hope.  
(I already posted a "formal picture"... scroll down to the last post to see)


We arrived at THE SUTHERLAND (it has to be in all caps. always), made an entrance scene (of course), signed in, and stood in line to have our OFFICIAL picture taken. It took a while. 
The sky was blue. 
The line long. 
There were paper bag lanterns all around. 
The prom dresses vibrant. Everyone looked very sharp. No balloons, thankfully.
Talked to a few of the people in line in front of us.
We made origami out of the picture order forms that were handed to us. 
Who orders pictures they haven’t even seen? Not me. The photographer was good though. She looked pretty legit. 
I origami-ed a little paper hat, Peter folded a rectangle. Yep, we were pretty pro.
We commentated on things, and thought up (aloud) topics to discuss in case things got dull. We didn’t end up needing them. 
After having our picture snapped, we went into the tent to eat. 
The food was fine; but it’s hard to want to eat when you’re wearing fancy clothing. 
Earlier we had placed our name cards on a table. (we chose the table by looking at other place cards, and the unseen people had cool last names). 
We lucked out. We sat next to some entertaining and nice people.
There was the dancing.
It all started with the electric slide. 
(I halfway wished that they had tried it again. Because I admit, I hadn’t done it since my friend’s 7th grade dance. Once I had remastered it, they had moved on...)
The songs the DJ picked were USUALLY okay, but a few were on the edge lyrics-wise. So I attempted to not over analyze the content, you know. 
It worked out. 
The dancing area was sweet. There was this crazy laser show, and a fog machine. We danced right next to one of the HUGE speakers. I think I lost some of my hearing, but it was so worth it. 
It was still gorgeous weather, the sky was clear, the stars were out.
I could go on and on, but I don’t want to get too detailed and bore you. 
(this is us after dancing for a bit...haha)
I can tell you something, though. By the end of the evening, I was TIRED. At least my feet were. You try wearing stilettos for 3 hours of dancing. It takes some work. 
But I could have danced and danced and danced all the same. For a long long time.
I didn’t really notice my hurting feet until we were headed home.  
So we got back to my house, ate some peanut butter captain crunch. It’s good stuff; the official cereal of my weekend. 
Product placement. 

Announcer: “We interrupt this blog post for a brief announcement. After a night of dancing and fun, this girl enjoys a bowl of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. It’s the cereal of prom-goers everywhere. Now back to the blog.”

We watched some monty python. John Cleese on “how to irritate people”. 
Not that I really needed it. 
See, I’m pretty much a pro at irritating people. 
But it was informative, all the more. We figured out who Monty Python actually was. You'll have to find that one out for yourself.  
The whole cliché about “time flying when you’re having fun”, is SO terribly true. 
I had a lot of fun, and the next thing we knew it was...
Psh, whatever. The next day would be Saturday (as usual, Saturday followed Friday) and people sleep in then. 
So don’t judge. You’re only young once...



On Saturday, we did some REALLY happiness-inducing (good synonym for fun?maybe...) stuff. The day ZIPPED by. We proved the time flies thing once again. We referenced it, but tried to not actually say it. Because that would have been too cliché of us. We were not about to become cliché people. (such a fun word to say and type...)
We went to the flea market and looked around for a few hours. I didn’t buy anything. Peter bought some sweet striped socks. (see below for picture)



The Asian man who ran the sock booth told us several times about his e-bay account. 
We liked the socks in front of us well enough. 
Without waiting for the three weeks for shipping, or nervously hoping that someone wouldn’t out-bid us... on a pair of SOCKS. 
I was happy for Peter and his purchase. Because previously, he only owned black socks and white socks and one pair of fuzzy socks. He was so very deprived. 
There were other interesting happenings, but they would make the post too long. And maybe they were only funny if you were there. Yeah...
SO. 
Then we regained our sophistication and cooled off by going to the art museum. 
The art museum may SOUND dull, but it’s not. 
There are many adventures to be had...
and it’s air-conditioned. Cool in both meanings of the word.
...one painting had a hair stuck to it. Stared at it for a while, but decided to leave it alone. The hair was there to make a statement. About something. Cosmic and vague. Like pretty much everything else at the museum. 

Then the curator came up and suggested that we should stand 12 inches from the paintings. (I think we were scrutinizing and trying to understand the paintings a little too much.) 
We obeyed, more or less. 
But we didn’t have a ruler, so Peter used his shoe. Held it up to the painting and stood back that far. It turned out to be close enough to 12 inches. 
(kidding...)
We went to five guys for lunch, and it was pretty scrumptious. They gave us way too many fries, (a good thing) and we colored cards using crayons with names like “awesome”.
(we were both rather clever with our wordplay, as you can see)


We frequented other places that were equally diverting and amusing. I made a list. We were hoping to swing by the Goodwill stores here (because they are so very eclectic and not too cliché. yes, that word is one of my faves.) but by the time we got to the goodwill it was too late. 
I didn’t know that they closed at 6. 
6 on a Saturday?!? 
Huh. that just means we’ll have to take another trip sometime soon... 
There were only a few glitches that took place. 
Like, I was “helping” with the navigation. Riiight. 
Um, please don’t ever call me Sacajawea. EVER. Not that you would, but still. 
I am not gifted with her innate ability and sense of direction. 
Let’s just leave it at that. 
We pretty much didn’t go to sleep on Saturday. 
Which was fine with me. Sleep was unnecessary.
We made it through church on Sunday. I actually was cognizant, but I can’t vouch for Peter. I hope that he was okay.
We ate a French-style lunch, with cappuccinos and ice cream following. 
Later, we played Cranium (on our sleep-deprived minds) and it was a humorous experience.  I’m not so very good at spelling backwards, and I’m REALLY bad at spelling backwards when I can’t think properly...

Peter was SUPPOSED to go back home Sunday afternoon, but we (me and my family) heavily hinted that he should stay longer. He did! It was wonderful. 
He had exams on Monday, though. 
So it all ended on Monday morning. Much too soon. 
I was sad. Because it was SUCH an enjoyable weekend
...I moped around. I slept. My body was screaming for sleep. Throwing a temper tantrum, really. 
I ignored my body for awhile, but eventually gave in.

Some great memories were made that weekend. I hope more will be made soon... 
I’ll quote the much quoted Dr. Seuss: 
“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”  
How very intuitive of him. 
I am indeed smiling. Beaming is more like it.
My only complaint about this past weekend:
I smiled and laughed a LOT. 
As a result, my cheeks/face got a serious workout. 
But any downsides were so very worth it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...