Monday, August 08, 2011

Oh summer, where have you gone?

The cool thing about God's perfect plan is that you never have to "resign" to something. I've had that misconception before, and God has blown that idea out of the water.
His plan is so not boring, nor is it disappointing.
In fact, it's one of the most exciting things to follow.
I have no idea where I'll be in the next few years, but I know that it's going to be good so long as I keep submitting myself to His will.

Okay, I'm done being inspirational.

Oh blog, I'm sorry it has been so long. Lately, most of my posts have been apologetic in this manner.
I think you guys can forgive me for not writing, right?
...if not, too bad. I do what I do.

Well, let me tell you how the three weeks of working daycamp went.
It was fantastic.
I could stop with that statement, but I'll go into greater detail.

I adored my cabin. Me and my girls were tight.

You don't sing "Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee" 20 times in a row together without bonding just a little.

I taught it to my campers one day without thinking. We were trying to get over the cabin's fear of bees, and I think the song helped.
After I sang it once, that was all they wanted to sing when we were walking from activity to activity.

Bringing home a baby bumblebee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me? 
Bringing home a baby bumblebee
OUCH!! It stung me!


...okay, maybe not the best song to sing for bee fears...but the girls loved it. We do go on to squish it up...

Squishing up a baby bumblebee
Wont my mommy be so proud of me? 
I'm squishing up a baby bumblebee
EWWW! It's all over me! 


and then we go on to wipe it off and wash it off...

Speaking of bees, there were a lot of those fuzzy creatures at camp. I've never been stung by one , so I have absolutely no inhibitions when it comes to bees. I think they're cute.

I let them land on me, and I even carried one around a few times just to prove that there was nothing to be scared of.

8 year-old girls are apparently petrified of bees.
I'm proud to say that my cabin learned to conquer their irrational fears.

At the end of the week, I had campers asking me to come and live with them. One little girl insisted that her parents had room for me to stay with them.
Can you say cute? 


My fellow staffers were fantastic.
One of them taught drama, and oh boy he was dramatic. I did promise not to upload the video of him acting as a velociraptor...I'll keep my word.

My co-counselor and I were a fantastic team. We were also both redheads (like I said before) so we had that connection that only redheads understand. I had such a fun time counseling with her.

Another thing that I loved about camp: Friday afternoon crafts.

The campers would make their counselors drawings/cards for their final craft.
It is precious! I love the misspellings, cute wordings, and funny portraits.

If ever I need an ego boost, I will be re-reading these:


"Thank you for being the best, the Best teacher/counselor.
you seved me lunch,
Love,
Vada"

"Thank you for all of the fun you have given us. I enjoyed the blue slide the most.
You are the best counselor Ever.
Love,
Cilla

"I love you Mackenzie!
Thank you so much for helping me have fun
and learn about God!
Your Awesome!"

A funny little camp horse. I think he is tired because he has red eyes...
It's the best. 

"Thanks Makenzie for everything u do
u rock
<3 u soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo etc.
much.
Written with love,
Anna your camper

This is me. It is accurate. Enough said. 

"Dear Mekeanze,
Love you.
I will miss you so much.
Thank you for being the best counceler.
Victoria"

This is the best drawing anyone has ever done of me. 


I've learned a few handy counselor tricks over the past three years of counseling, and this year was no exception.
I've learned even more, and I know that if I get a chance to work at a camp next year, I'll be even more prepared, if that's possible. (I am the always over-prepared one. True story)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the idea of ​​making theater, you get great things !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...