Monday, June 27, 2011

Stellar Sunsets

Why is it that there are so many good S adjectives?
Stellar, spectacular, stunning, spiffy...

So.
I left off with J and N (more or less)...
well, I typed that post when I was in serious need of sleep, and I am now realizing how sleepy and mentally impaired (due to lack of sleep) I was when I wrote it.

I'm too lazy to fix it.

So excuse the run-on sentences and sloppy grammar.
>>>>>
Ok, so...
In my writings, I'm at camp with N&J.

We set up in the cabin, and I started putting up cabin decorations.

I love hitting the post-christmas sales.
I can always find cute lights for majorly cheap prices. I stock up. It's wonderful.

So, my cabin was very well-lit after some time and a staple gun:


The girls ran off to play with campers who had come up with other counselors; it worked out nicely.
I got much-needed alone time to reset myself and get my thoughts straight for the week.

After the girls came back from catching lightning bugs, I was able to get them to go to sleep at a (somewhat) reasonable hour.

I knew that being in a strange, exciting place like camp was going to make it difficult for them to sleep.
But sleep they did!
As we got ready for bed, I told them multiple times that they could sleep as late as they wanted in the morning.

"Really, Ms. Makenzie? We can sleep in? We don't have to get up early?"


"Really, girls, please, please sleep as late as you want to. I really don't mind."

They seemed happy with my generous offer...

...it was futile.
N&J were up at 7 and asking questions about the camp schedule. I rolled over and tried to close my eyes, pretending that this was just a dream.

It wasn't.

I was glad that I woke when I did, because it was a gorgeous morning! See?

This camp is in such a lovely place of the world. 

The sunsets at camp are unreal. I'm going to take a few minutes to post pictures so you can share in the loveliness of camp sunsets: 

























Doesn't that just make you happy? I positively love it! Nature makes me joyful.

Anywho...
The rest of the morning went well, the girls had fun exploring camp, and I had fun getting all of my counseling goodies organized.
Hair ribbons, bubbles, goody baskets, markers, stickers, candy...

Then, it was time for the counselor meeting, and the week was off to start!
In some ways, the week felt like it lasted months.
On the other hand, it was a blur. The week happened so quickly!

I was able to dress up as the host for the camp's nightly game show, "Are You Smarter Than A Mountain Topper?". The game show was to help with review.

I loved it!
I wore a blonde wig, and used the accent that comes so easily to me (but that I have trained myself to never never use)

Here is a picture of me doing my thing as the host (the gangster rappers are my guests):


The stage is my calling, for I do love being up there.

I used to think I didn't like much attention...I'm starting to think I was wrong.

Also, my cabin was great.
I had 15 campers. I also had a wonderful co-counselor who loved spending time with the campers and didn't mind the fact that I was seemingly always running around.

I felt like I was always rushing about to get something accomplished or prepped.
I quite enjoyed it.
I like having things to do, especially when it is campy things that are needing to be done.

Camp work doesn't usually feel like work-work for some reason.
I think it's because the environment of camp is so encouraging and fun.
It's easy to do "tough" things when everyone is laughing and having a good time with it.

For example, one night I got to play assistant to the nurse.
A girl had an ingrown toenail, and the nurse asked if I wouldn't mind helping remove the ingrown toenail while she was helping another patient.

I can sense the shudders. It wasn't so bad.

I've taken some classes and pointers from heath professionals, so I knew how to be sanitary.

I got gloves and alcohol prep pads.
I grabbed my utensils and went to town.

It sounds silly, but I liked it. Even when pus started squirting out, I found it almost enjoyable.

Fact: gloves make any task bearable. (True story. I am a master toilet cleaner if only I can have gloves.)

My patient recovered. The surgery was successful.

>>>>>
One thing that was noted about this past week: campers are more apathetic than they used to be.

I can remember being a camper and getting excited about things. I can remember cheering and screaming when it was time for an event. My fellow campers were the same way. By the end of the week, our voices were gone, but we still yelled, all the same.

This crowd was tough.

The campers just didn't get into things as quickly.
I took it upon myself to pump these kids up!
We (the other counselors and I) all worked to get these kids engaged with what was going on.
We prayed about it.
By the end of the week, we could see a difference! There was still hope.

What is with the apathy though? I am noticing it is becoming prevalent. It's worrisome.

Is it because our society is just that overstimulated?

Now, it is late, and perhaps I have an anecdote or two to share. Right now my thoughts are scattered like a bowl of beads that has just been dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...