Saturday, June 25, 2011

I'm Boring!

The last five weeks have been spent at camp.
I love camp.
Camp is a place where being fun is always a necessity.
How can anyone not like camp?
...sure there are bugs.
Sure you have to go outside.
Sure  you get to be cooped up with 16 other people.


This past week, I got to go to the camp I grew up attending. This past week, I was a counselor.

Don't get me wrong, I  really love the new camp I'm working at, but there is something to be said for the camp that brings back nostalgic memories of being 9.

This last week was quite interesting.
Friday night was the last night of the other camp, and so as I got home at 11:30 that night (11:30 because I like talking to other staff)
I realized that I needed to do some major washing so that we could leave the next day at noon.
It was a feat. I had many errands to run, clothes to wash, and things to pack.
 It started early on Saturday morning, when I had to run around like a crazy person trying to be prepared.
After a few hours, I was ready.

Oh boy, was I prepared.

I love crates, and I brought many  filled with goodies and counselor supplies (candy, decorations, gifts, markers, bracelet-making supplies and the like)
So after I had crammed my junk in the trunk, we went to pick up two very sweet (and sometimes sassy) girls, N and J, who were going to be campers for the week:
At Breakfast Sunday Morning
A tangent to my point:
N & J have really fun accents, since they're both from Congo. 
An odd little tidbit: Without even meaning to, I totally pick up their accent when I hang around them.
They also understand me more easily if I speak using their accent. 
Weird, but true. 
When I speak in a normal American accent, they say, "huh?!?" 

But if I use their  way of speaking, they say, "ohhh!" 

Once I didn't feel well, and didn't have the mental fortitude to use their accent so I spoke in my urban-american accent, and the girls asked me why I was talking so funny. They said, "you do not sound right, you need to change how you talk" 
I spoke using their twang, and they were pacified.

Anyways...
We picked them up and drove the long drive to the mountians (I ALWAYS flip the a and the i in "mountains" uggh!) mountains. 

The girls are still somewhat new to English, and they decided that they were bored. They decided to announce this every 10 minutes. 

Another tangent: 
They were always bored, no matter what they were doing.
I think they liked that word.

Bored.


 They were carrying their luggage, and they would inform me that they were bored.
They were coloring pictures, and while they colored, they told me they were bored. 
They were running around having fun, and they would still tell me that they were bored. 

Kids these days. 

what made it hilarious is that J, didn't realize that when she was saying "bored", she was actually saying, "boring" 

It made my time of listening to them whine so much more enjoyable. 
"Ms. Makenzie, I'm boring!" 

hahaha. Complaining backfires! 

I corrected her a few times, and explained what bored meant, but she didn't seem to understand. She was dead serious when she would inform me of her boredom.
So, I got to keep hearing, 

"Ms. Makenzie, I'm boring!" 

whenever J lost interest in something. 

I can't relate, because I have learned that there is no such thing as boredom. Boredom is a state of mind that can be conquered. 

And though I tried to teach the girls the definition of bored, they just didn't get it...

Moving on. 
In the car, we watched Shrek (pretty fantastic movie that kept the girls from saying they were bored) and in no time, we were at camp. 
I got the fun of watching out for them overnight. Camp doesn't start until Sunday afternoon, so I had about 24 hours to entertain them. 
Why was I there so early? 
I had to be there early to set up, and my sister was a camper there the week before, so she needed some picking up. 
...to be continued when I don't think I'm about to pass out from sleepiness...



No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...