Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Friends and induction

So the new camp I am working at this summer (not the one with N&J, but New Life Camp) is rich with tradition.
It's a cool thing.

I'm a total newbie there, so it has taken me some time to understand some of the traditions that go on.

Some of the traditions I find out about a bit too late.

I have a prime example.
Ready?

Ok, so at the end of the camp weeks, there is always a closing ceremony for parents and campers with final remarks and a video containing the highlights of the week.
This seems normal and makes sense.

Well, at the end of the first week of overnight camp, after the announcements, they called all of the staff up onto the stage.
No one had told me about this.

I had no idea what was going on.

Unsure, I followed my fellow staffers.
We all formed a chain across the stage. Shoulder to shoulder.


I just so happened to be in the center of the chain (and therefore center stage).

I could handle this.
No big deal.
The next thing I knew, cheesy music (we are talking flutes and everything) started playing.

The staff all started singing in unison to a song I had never heard in my life.
There I was, front and center, unsure of what to do.

So, at first I smiled and tried to mouth the words best I could.

Bless my heart.

Then I realized the girl next to me had no idea as to what she was doing either.
Oh, newbies that we are. At least we were in it together!

I'm sure it was humorous for the crowd, if they so happened to focus on a certain redheaded staffer who was struggling not to laugh at the ridiculousness of her plight. Because once someone else is in it with you, it becomes funny.


The song is sweet, and I think it's cute that the staff sing it for the campers, but I will try to help out future newbie staffers and give them a warning. Or maybe not.
Everyone has to be inducted at some point... *evil laugh*


Here's how the song went (more or less):

Now it's time for us to say
Goodbye for just a while
So until we meet again
May God's love make you smile
We'll be friends forever 
And while we are apart
I will pray for you, and always keep you in my heart. 


We'll be friends forever,
Jesus and you and me.
He ties our hearts together,
and friends we'll always be. 


When you see the sun you'll know 
That I see the same one too. 
And when you see the stars
They'll say hello from me to you. 



We'll be friends forever,
Jesus and you and me.
He ties our hearts together,
and friends we'll always be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...