Monday, August 16, 2010

One Shot.

Life is an interesting experience.
You only get one shot at it.
At any point it can be over.
Life is fragile.

Have you ever sat back and watched humanity?
Sitting on a bench in a busy thoroughfare; be it at the mall, downtown, in a restaurant, at the museum...  you get a look at humans.
We are so complex. Every person has their own story.
 They have their own tragedy, personal crisis, joyful moments...
It is easy for me to get wrapped up in what's directly affecting me, my own thoughts and introspective-ness.
I forget that what I do could be influencing or changing someone else's life.  I may be people-watching, but I'm sure that there's people watching me.
I am an example to others.
I'm called to be a light; am I shining? hmmm
It's something to think about.


Today I was reading different topics in the Bible.
I read about wisdom, generosity, and perseverance.
Then, I read a well-known passage, and it struck me in a new way (Matthew 5: 38-42, Jesus speaking):

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."
Say whaaaat? It's been awhile since I've read the passage.
It sounds like a scary proposition, not resisting an evil person. Does that make me a doormat? Am I to be a super-pushover??
But further down in the passage, Jesus continues the thought (Matthew 6:25-27):

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
This seems to be my theme for this season of my life. God has got me in His hands. He will provide. What immense comfort there is in this thought!
I continued to read, and found this wonderful correlation in Romans 8
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.



What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So, I don't have to worry about being a pushover.  I have God-confidence. He is mighty to save, and (this is reverberating over and over for me) He is in control. He will give the ability to show such humility and servant-hood.

He has a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...