Tuesday, August 31, 2010

For the Beauty of the earth

I'm in Gatlinburg!
It is gorgeous. At least the wilderness is.
As for the main drag downtown? It makes me shudder.
So tourist-y...But it is not all thorns. There are gems to be found among the rough.
Such as...
 the artisan store.  I appreciated the workmanship. Intricate carvings, handwoven cloths, jewelry, and last but not least, the pottery. [I want to take some pottery classes now.] There were some über cool mugs there. The only drawback was the price. With the price they were asking ($30 or so), I'd be hard-pressed to actually use the mugs. Perhaps they were just there to be displayed.
[I have a thing for mugs.]
Another store called The Honeypot had soy candles that smelled heavenly. I ended up with a coffee cup filled with a soywax candle that smells like roasted espresso. There was no choice. I had to buy it. [I hope it doesn't encourage me to drink more coffee...]
In many stores there were moccasins. I tried on a groovy pair, and came close to buying them. Not so close on the fringe coat that coordinated...

We are staying in a spacious rental house that has a lovely view.
Standing out on the deck, gazing out at the beauty, you get a sense of grandeur.
I can never decide. Mountains or Beach? Both have redeeming qualities.

We hiked out to a waterfall on Monday.

Swam in the cool pool, warmed up in our hot tub, took pictures, played pool...it's been a nice stay so far.
I also got to finish one of my books. The Oath by Peretti. Oh boy, that guy is a good writer. He keeps you interested. It is a difficult task to put one of his books down.

Tomorrow we're going on a long hike. I'm looking forward to it. Better make sure the camera batteries are charged.
But now it is hot tub time. Everything's cooling off, so it will feel lovely to soak in the warmness. We walked an extensive amount today around downtown. I think our three mile walk today was more exhausting than a 10 mile hike in the woods would have been...

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...