Sunday, May 06, 2012

An Almost Proposal

I have been semi-proposed to before. It was an awkward experience, to be proposed to by a total stranger in a supermarket (if you don't believe me, well, it happened)
Well, tonight, I had a similar experience. It was a funny experience to me, I got a laugh afterwards at this guys method of cross-examining me.

I was at the café downtown, hoping for some good internet. It worked off and on for a bit, and then it just went kaput.

It was gone
I tried for a good portion of 30 minutes to get it to work, but it was a server issue rather than my computer. The waiters tried to repair the connection to no avail. So I packed up.
I was waiting by the door for my ride when the power went out.

I was clutching my bag.
I could see a figure approaching me in the light that came from the fading light outside.
"Good evening", the figure said.
"Good evening", I replied
Figure: "The generator will work in a moment."
The lights turned on and I saw one of the employees standing before me. His name tag read Jean Louis.
Jean Louis: so you have come to use the internet? I am sorry it did not work well.
Me: Oh, it worked for a bit, thank you. I really wish it had let me finish uploading posts and allowed me talk more to my family.
JL: Your family? Is it in America?
Me: Yes. All in America.
JL: where? What state?
Me: North Carolina? Have you heard of it?
JL: North…Caro-lin hmm
Me: gesturing by making an outline of a map of the USA. It's in the southeast. In the summer there, it is warm like it is here. It's a nice state.
JL: Mm. I see. What is your name?
Me: It's Makenzie. I see that you're Jean-Louis. 
JL: MMkenzi?
Me: Like mugenzi, haha, you know? Makenzie.
JL: Ah, so your name is Kirundi? Only one name? No last name?
Me: Uhm… just Makenzie
JL: Strange. Where do you live here?
Me: Ummm, it's close, but I couldn't tell you exactly. You know, I'm not the greatest with directions.
JL: you should tell me so I can come to see you. You would receive me?
Me: Oh! Um, well, lately I have been gone away most of the day from the place I am staying. I'm usually very busy. But uh, I'll be back by the coffee shop again sometime.
JL: Ah. Why are you here and not in America?
Me: Well, I'm here for a few months to volunteer at a school and wherever there is help needed… and to learn about the culture and pick up a few languages hopefully. Kirundi is hard!

JL: You are a teacher! What school? Are you teaching at University?
Me: ha, not at university. I'm just helping with little children at a school in Kigobe, called Discovery School.
JL: You teach Sunday School?
Me: I have taught some in the United States! I love it. But here, I haven't taught Sunday school. Do you go to church around here?

The conversation continues and we discuss churches, both here and in the USA. It turns out he goes to church…though I don't know the name of it. He says that he has been born again and that he has a vision of someday going to university, but first that he must work. He seemed like a legit believer. I was impressed with his vision, and encouraged him by reminding him that God does supply every need, but it is good for us to put forth effort, recalling that the apostle Paul being a tentmaker...


JL: you are right. It is good to work and not to beg for money.
I nodded in affirmation and smiled.
there was a pause…
JL: May-Ken-Si, I love you.
Me:… umm, why, thank you.
JL: Right now, I don't have the resources, but maybe we can someday…

I start to tune him out at this point. I am feeling so awkward at this moment, because well, the L-word is something I am not used to throwing around...


At this moment, my ride walks in. OH WHAT WONDERFUL TIMING!
The timing of my ride was just providential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...