Saturday, February 16, 2013

I'm a valentine grinch.

Valentine's Day is past.

**DISCLAIMER: this is a rant/realization**

I am finding balance in my emotions concerning that day.

This year, I saw my own hypocrisy in action. I saw how silly it was to be a cynic.

Admittedly, I can easily be cynical. It's a blessing and a curse, and I know I should be more prone to see the good in others.

The most annoying people during valentines are the people who whine about how corporate and stupid Valentines is. I was kinda one of those people.


But then I began to realize: despite it being a "hallmark holiday" and "mainstream" (yep, I'm gonna admit that mainstream things don't hold much weight for me), it's a perfect excuse to go above and beyond in saying to someone, "hey, you mean a lot to me."
It doesn't even have to be a huge effort. It can take all of 5 minutes to write a note.

You don't even have to have a romantic "valentine". You can still do something sweet for someone else.
I realized that if I think v-day is dumb, I shouldn't whine about it to others and I shouldn't try to ruin their fun.
Why turn down a day to celebrate love?

Next year, I shan't complain so loudly or audibly about the dumb corporations trying to dictate what and when I show love to someone.

...I still think that heart shaped balloons with feathers are horribly tacky, as are giant stuffed bears holding hearts, and those faux-roses that light up.
I can do without this
or this
ESPECIALLY NOT THIS. Balloon+ a random couple, or another picture... either way, it's bizarre.


...but that's personal preference.

Valentine's is a cultural tradition.

And honestly, deep down, I do enjoy it.

I love the flowers and the chocolates and the feeling of knowing I'm loved.


Also, right now, I'm so into bands that look like wandering vagrants.


Of Monsters and Men
Avett Brothers
Mumford and Sons
Imagine Dragons
Mat Kearney
....what gives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

your feedback is so very welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 It's been over five years since I last blogged.  Blogs aren't really cutting edge anymore, faded to obscurity under the glitzy allu...